Standard US English Dialect?

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Wed Apr 16 04:25:40 UTC 2008

Scot,

This makes such good sense that it must not be true and isn't
(quite). In quite a lot of work on dialect comprehension (and
cross-dialect comprehension), Labov, Plichta, Rakerd, and I have
found that, as you say, locals understand the local variety better
than nonlocals, but in areas where there is rapid change, locals
sometimes understand an older (conservative) system better than the
emerging one they themselves speak. We found this to be particularly
true of younger speakers in the NCS (urban Great Lakes) area where we
were unable to duplicate the single-word comprehension successes of
Peterson and Barney and Hillenbrand et al.

How to explain it? First, the mismatch between perception and
production is being more and more studied, and the gap is wider than
any of us suspected. All four logical possibilities exist: produce
but not perceive, perceive but not produce, produce and perceive,
etc...
Second, where do the phonemic "slots" that people drop their vowels
into come from? They may have sources other than the psychomotor
events that trigger the realization of these "same" sounds.

It's a least keeping several of us off the streets.

dInIs