More on Spelling

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 22 16:51:08 UTC 2008

I worked with kindergarten and first grade readers for a while, and one
thing I found to be consistent is that the "sounding out" practice that is a
part of a lot of phonics instruction works only if the child already knows
the word and there is enough context for the child to predict what the word
she's sounding out is supposed to be.  Put a phonically regular word in that
the child won't know and doesn't have context for, and they can't get past
the sounding out stage.  Not surprisingly to most of us on this list, word
recognition is not simply a matter of knowing the sounds of the letters
spelling it.

Herb