Heard on the Olympics: "uphill and downdale"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 14 00:24:18 UTC 2008

Spoken by a non-American but nevertheless native-speaker - probably
British, possibly South-African - of English WRT bike-racing:

"From here on in, it's all uphill and _downdale_."

His use of "downdale" instead of "downhill" appeared to be serious. I
can recall "downdale" being used by my grandparents in Texas.
Otherwise, I've never heard it used, even facetiously, until now.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain