Heard on the Olympics: "uphill and downdale"

Thu Aug 14 08:09:38 UTC 2008

> Spoken by a non-American but nevertheless native-speaker - probably
> British, possibly South-African - of English WRT bike-racing:
>
> "From here on in, it's all uphill and _downdale_."
>

> His use of "downdale" instead of "downhill" appeared to be serious. I
> can recall "downdale" being used by my grandparents in Texas.
> Otherwise, I've never heard it used, even facetiously, until now.

The canonical form is "up hill and down dale". It was immediately familiar
to me, as a British English speaker, and there are many examples to be
found in the works of writers going back to the early nineteenth century -
the OED's first example is from 1824 (though it doesn't have an entry for
the phrase), though I've found one slightly earlier:

1812 Poulson's American Daily Advertiser 22 Aug. 2/3 The Chinese were the
lads for the plough and the flail, / For with 'em they scampered up hill
and down dale.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words