Age and gender confusion at the Olympics

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 17 02:36:55 UTC 2008

Joel's discussion below reflects a style practice altered several
years (possibly over a decade) ago.  For quite some time now, the
Times uses no titles in their sports pages.  More accurately, any
article about sports figures *qua sports figures* in the sports pages
refers to the athletes, both male and female (after the initial
establishing full name mention), by last name only.  Therefore, any
choice other than "He" (after first mention) would violate the now
consistently applied practice, unless the article described Ms. He
being accused of doping or other legal/ethical irregularities.  Note
the date on the Safire column.

LH

(I think the title + last name practice for non-strictly sports
related stories, e.g. when Bonds or Clemens is testifying before a
grand jury or in Congress, can be overridden in columns as opposed to
regular news stories.  It does get complicated.)