anise

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 18 14:21:40 UTC 2008

At 5:57 AM -0400 8/18/08, Lynne Murphy wrote:
>She's using the standard British pronunciation,

That's surprising to me (not that R.R. used it, but that it's the
standard British pronunciation).

>  but 'aniseed' is pronounced
>the same as in AmE.
>
>Similarly the Frenchified pronunciation of 'endive' is the usual BrE
>pronunciation (when they're not calling it 'chicory').

I'll bet it gets primary stress, though, like "ballet" and "garage",
although in those cases AmE keeps the French stress, while "endive"
is wholly domesticated (even in "Belgian endive", which is what I
grew up hearing).  More recently, while we're in the family, I've
heard many variations on "radicchio", although [r@'dikio] is pretty
easy to say if you don't worry about long consonants and
quality-preserving unstressed vowels.  I guess it's just that
ever-problematic "chi" = [ki] correspondence.

LH