anise

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 21 00:25:40 UTC 2008

At 4:55 PM -0400 8/20/08, Doug Harris wrote:
>I heard of this supposedly-young Shithead from my wife, who supposedly
>heard it from someone who 'knew' the kid. If, of course, there is such
>an unfortunately-named individual.
>I also remember a doctor, then young and never particularly bright, who
>told me of young females being named Female' after the name tags on
>their wrists.
>I'd never heard of Nosmo King until you mentioned him. I'd feel even
>more sorry for his sister, given the sexual identity issues she could
>be struggling with what with named Ima,

There was a real Ima Hogg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ima_Hogg),
but AFAIK no real Ima King.  Or Ura Hogg, as is sometimes claimed.

As for Nosmo King /'naz mo kIN/, though, there was a fairly reputable
organic New York (more specifically, Greenwich Village) restaurant of
that name in the '90s, although self-consciously chosen.  Cf e.g.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_n7_v26/ai_11852622.  I
don't if it's still going.