NS > NTS (was: Re: "war" [wor])

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 25 02:57:34 UTC 2008

I agree. And I also see why you'd want to do it. I once taught myself
the German and better-class Dutch (the camp-follower class of Dutch
chicks who hung out with GI's visiting The Dam merely to get laid used
the Spanish-style trilled /r/) uvular /r/ just because I felt like it.
The Germans appeared to be willing to accept a kind of uvularized
English /w/ in place of the real German /r/ and The Netherlands has
the reputation of being the most English-speaking European country
outside of the British Isles, so there was no pressure. Indeed, I
didn't even get that /r/ down pat till I'd been back in The World for
about a year.

-Wilson

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject:      Re: NS > NTS (was: Re: "war" [wor])
>
> NIce observation. When I listened to this, the sound I was hearing was
> the moraic N of Japanese, which is generally nasalized if not
> assimilated. It might be fair to say his pronunciation falls into this
> category, but nasalized /i/ is probably a better description. Perhaps
> he has some background in French or familiarity with an English
> dialect that keeps the distinction.
>
> As to why you would want to disambiguate ns/ts, it was mainly
> curiosity. My professor told us years ago that there is a dialect that
> does so. At the time, I had serious doubts about his claim, but now I
> wish I had inquired more about that dialect. More recently, I began to
> wonder if they could be auditorily distinguished. After quite a bit of
> practice, I can disambiguate at will and found that the pronunciations
> are very distinct once you know how to listen. BB
>
> On Aug 15, 2008, at 7:48 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>

>> FWIW, Benjamin, it sounds to me that Roel "cheats." That is, he merely
>> nasalizes the /i/ instead of fully articulating the /n/. Nevertheless,
>> I do believe that it's possible to pronounce /ns/ as [ns]. Indeed, I
>> believe (my experience has been that you have to listen to yourself on
>> tape, if you want to hear what your speech *really* sounds like) that
>> *I* can disambiguate "prince" and "prints" by pronouncing them
>> differently: [prIns] vs. [prInts]. But why? The two words always occur
>> in completely different contexts. It would be like teaching oneself to
>> distinguish "leach" from "leech" by pronouncing the former as [liItS]
>> or some such. Most people wouldn't notice and most of those who did
>> notice wouldn't care.
>>
>> -Wilson
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:18 AM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com
>> > wrote:
>>> -----------------------
>>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
>>> Subject:      NS > NTS (was: Re: "war" [wor])
>>>
>>> That reminds me: in the not-too-distance past, TZ argued that there
>>> is
>>> no "t" sound in words like "since" and "prince."
>>>
>>> My first phonetics professor held that there is a prestige dialect
>>> that maintains the "ns" pronunciation, thus differentiating "prince"
>>> from "prints" (a pursuit that TZ should be greatly interested in). I
>>> recently found a great example, pronounced by the Netherlander pop
>>> singer Roel van Velzen in "When Summer Ends." The song video can be
>>> seen (and heard) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWkBMbhAYPM. It
>>> starts right off with his t-less pronunciation of "since".
>>>
>>> Is this a feature of Dutch, or is it something he more likely learned
>>> in school? BB

-----
-Mark Twain