akilter

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Tue Aug 26 18:19:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:13:43 -0400, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
wrote:

> At 2:04 PM -0400 8/26/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>FWIW, I'm fully persuaded by Larry and Mark. And it strikes me that,
>>given "out of kilter," "akilter" ought to mean "in kilter."
>
> Exactly, but only to the extent that "unthaw" ought to mean 'freeze'
> and "unloosen" 'tighten'.  And that's not even getting into
> "irregardless".

On the Eggcorn forums there is a rather surprising thread
(http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=633, in particular Pat
Schwieterman's contributions) on "unyet" , which occurs in two senses: as a
substitute for "and yet", and in "as of yet un-X" -> "as unyet X". There's
also "still unyet". Cites are easy to find.

Best,

Chris Waigl