akilter

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 26 18:55:19 UTC 2008

At 2:19 PM -0400 8/26/08, Chris Waigl wrote:
>On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:13:43 -0400, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>wrote:
>>
>>  At 2:04 PM -0400 8/26/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>>FWIW, I'm fully persuaded by Larry and Mark. And it strikes me that,
>>>given "out of kilter," "akilter" ought to mean "in kilter."
>>
>>  Exactly, but only to the extent that "unthaw" ought to mean 'freeze'
>>  and "unloosen" 'tighten'.  And that's not even getting into
>>  "irregardless".
>
>On the Eggcorn forums there is a rather surprising thread
>(http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=633, in particular Pat
>Schwieterman's contributions) on "unyet" , which occurs in two senses: as a
>substitute for "and yet", and in "as of yet un-X" -> "as unyet X". There's
>also "still unyet". Cites are easy to find.

Nice.  Not unrelated to this, I've also encountered hypernegative
"hasn't yet to" as an apparent blend of "has yet to" and "hasn't
yet".  Some googled examples:

"My number of headaches hasn't yet to decrease"
"Pay hasn't yet to come"
"After 4 months, shop sends out notice to customer giving them an
extra 10 days to redeem item if customer hasn't yet to pay for
interest"
"Although the proposal hasn't yet to be voted on..."

And then there's the somewhat more explicable "has unyet", as in

"Love, Something that has unyet been explained."
"This page is currently unavailable as the online game has unyet been
completed"

--and my fave:

"I believe God has a greater plan for me that He has unyet unravel."

LH