OK, someone's gotta post it

Mark Peters markpeters33 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 30 14:07:08 UTC 2008

Now that word is a good addition to my dictionary:
http://wordlust.blogspot.com/2008/08/lvpcilf.html

Thanks Ben!

----- Original Message ----
From: Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 11:39:57 PM
Subject: Re: OK, someone's gotta post it

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Dan Goodman <dsgood at iphouse.com> wrote:

> Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 29, 2008, at 5:30 PM, Larry Horn wrote:
>>
>>> AOTY (acronym of the year) candidate--or is it intialism of the year?
>>> In either case, it is, of course,
>>>
>>> VPILF
>>>
>>> or maybe it's VPilf
>>>
>>> (which unpacks just as you'd expect, even if you don't know how to
>>> pronounce it).
>>>
>>> There's even a corresponding web site:  http://www.vpilf.com/
>>>
>>> Remember, you read it here first, unless you didn't.  And given where
>>> we've been the last eight years, I'm pretty sure this one didn't
>>> exist before today.
>
> The website apparently did:
> David Weiner: VPILF
> Aug 29, 2008 ... So I must tip my hat to VPILF.com, for the site was set
> up two months ago -- long before Palin was a serious contender for the
> VP slot, ...
> www.huffingtonpost.com/david-weiner/vpilf_b_122404.html

The bloggers on Wonkette began referring to Palin as a "GILF" as soon
as she was sworn in as governor in Dec. '06:

http://wonkette.com/219223/gilf-alaskas-first-gal-governor-sworn-in

They called her VPILF as word about the veep pick leaked out, though
one commenter suggested LVPCILF (Losing Vice Presidential Candidate…):

http://wonkette.com/402354/who-will-be-doomed-mccain-pick

--Ben Zimmer