"bring Route 40"

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 30 22:31:27 UTC 2008

for the branched off-topic:

I normally just say replace x _with_ y.
With substitute, I'd prefer _with_, but could also use _for_: substitute x
for y.
where x is d.o. instead of  prepositional object.

As for substitute, in sports, I've heard...
Andrews off the bench, coming in for Baker.  e.g.
Likewise Andrews substituting for Baker.

So maybe replace/with, substitute/for.  (At least in my personal idiom.)

And I wonder how much this usage has been informed by the find/replace fxn
found in word processors, text editors.