"bring Route 40"

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 30 22:50:49 UTC 2008

*From the West:* Bring I-80 to Des Moines, remaining on the same road (I-80
heads straight into I-235). Drive for 8 miles until reaching the downtown
exits. Take the 7th Street exit (also marked as the Iowa Events Center) and
drive south for 4 blocks. Turn Left onto Watson Powell Jr. Pkwy, 2 blocks
east, and take a right onto 5th Ave. The Convention Complex will be on your
right, with the Ligutti Parking garage on the left.

*From the North:* Bring I-35 south and take I-235 West. Drive approximately
7 miles until reaching the downtown area. After crossing the Des Moines
River, take the 3rd Street exit south 3 blocks to Watson Powell Jr. Pkwy.
Drive 2 blocks west, and take a left onto 5th Ave. The Convention Complex
will be on your right with the Ligutti Parking garage on the left.
Drive 6 blocks ? the Convention Complex will be your right, with the
LiguttiParking garage on the left.

If that's the example, then _take_ might still be reserved for turns (as
opposed to long stretches of road).  (The usage of take seems to vary
between the two paragraphs..., as in take the 3rd Street exit, [and then go]
south three blocks.)

But overall that's good work.  If bring/take are still mainly distinguished
with regard to the reference point, then it's a fairly simple way of
redefining your trips not as from a starting point (usually a home), but
defined and understood based on the destination.  It's fairly ambiguous as
to whether trips should be defined as to where they begin, or where they
start, right?

With most google-maps directions, we know both starting and ending location,
so this is truly a toss-up.  With directions incorporating a vague starting
point, this is no longer the case (E.g., from the west, from the north,
etc), so perhaps it could be that in such instances it makes more sense to
define trips based on destinations.  Or it could simply be cultural.

Are there any other cites that use both _bring_ and _take_ ?  Like bring
I-70 to St. Louis, and then take I-64 to Louisville?

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu