"coach potato" another possible eggcorn?

Mon Dec 1 04:02:49 UTC 2008

If it's an eggcorn, wouldn't it be consistent rather than one in the
title and another in the text? Also, I don't know that the distant
position of "o" and "a" on the QWERTY board is necessarily telling.
Just guessing, it seems reasonable that "a" after "o" is easier than
"u" after "o" because it's an alternation of hands.

Without looking at each one, I think www.amazon.ca/Coach-Potato-Mouse/dp/1572433841
  is excellent evidence of "coach" being a typo.

One other possibility is whether "couch" is a universal word. It is
the default in Seattle for a davenport/sofa, but I have the feeling
that "sofa" is more common in some regions, in which case the eggcorn
case would be stronger. BB