English "laydown" = French "application"? Jargon?

Andrea Morrow aandrea1234 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 3 19:00:21 UTC 2008

As someone who works with pastels and colored pencils in my hobby, I
can attest that color "laydown" (also "lay down" and "lay-down") is a
common usage for people I know who use these media.  In my mind, it
means color that is applied directly from the pencil or pastel, as
opposed to using a brush or solvent to transfer it.  A quick google
search turned up lots of hits with this meaning. I can't say where
this use came from, but it is in wide usage beyond one brand of
colored pencils.

Andrea