rooves

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 4 16:06:08 UTC 2008

At 10:50 AM -0500 2/4/08, Amy West wrote:
>Oh, dear G-d almighty, I cannot believe that this old myth/falsehood
>has reappeared here.
>
>Mark, pick my fainting medievalist self up off the floor. I'm
>assuming that James Landau simply contributed this cite and is not
>the author of the text.

Indeed; a click on the link indicates that Jim was asking about the
reliability of this claim, not promulgating it (whence his quotes),
and a search on "cats and dogs" or "thatch" will probably pull up the
various observations following his query that this is in fact a
classic etymythology, as you say.

LH