"Same Old Same Old"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Feb 10 03:39:15 UTC 2008

>I searched at Ancestry.com.  My university library doesn't subscribe
>to Newspaper Archive.
>

>http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=Newspaper&dbid=1139&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0
>
>   JL
>
>Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> -----------------------
>Sender: American Dialect Society
>Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
>Subject: Re: "Same Old Same Old"
>
>On Feb 9, 2008 8:58 PM, Sam Clements wrote:
>[Jon Lighter wrote:]
> > > Good work, Same source gives me a cite ("same-o same-o") from Aug. 20,
> > > 1947, but won't let me see it unless I pay.
> >
> > Considering the quality of the search engine at that site, unless they gave
> > you a :"hit" for Stars and Stripes, there ain't no 1947 cite.
>
>As far as I can see, there aren't any digitized pages on
>Newspaperarchive for the Aug. 20, 1947 edition -- it goes straight
>from Aug. 8 to Aug. 25. Or is there another way to access Pacific
>Stars & Stripes?

I checked this one: the page is there, but the 'hit' seems to be
bogus: an irrelevant "same" is highlighted. There are many other
Ancestry 'hits' ... which point to "game", "Samoa", etc. ... but the
Ancestry search function fails to find the real hit which Sam
Clements noted. The Ancestry search function makes N'archive look
very good by comparison.

-- Doug Wilson