bogart (v.)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 12 14:49:25 UTC 2008

That's valuable info, Ron.  My assumption has always been that the Bogey connection came from movies where he constantly held a cigarette in his mouth.  Of course, I can't identify any such movie....

  HDAS has "niggerlip"  from 1940.

  More recent, quite reasonable, "bogart" developments:

  to steal or seize control of  brazenly:

  1982 Craig Castleman _Getting Up: Subway Graffiti in New York_ (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press) 48: Large markers used for tagging, however, are usually kept under the counter in stires, and the only possible way to steal them is "Bogarting." This method requires the rackers to convince a clerk to let them see a desired pen. When they have their hands on it, the writers...run from the store as fast as they can.
  2002 Sacha Jenkins _Ego-Trip's Big Book of Racism_  (N.Y.: HarperCollins) 64: Introducing Native Americans to firewater and bogarting their land for bags of worthless beads.

  n. an act of stealing brazenly:

  1982 Craig Castleman _Getting Up: Subway Graffiti in New York_ (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press) 48: [Some] writers are unwilling to hazard a Bogart.

  (simply) to keep (a cigarette) in one's mouth.

  2004 Julian Rubenstein _Ballad of the Whiskey Robber _ (N.Y.: Little, Brown) 89:  By 8:45 Lajos's men were  fighting over the chairs and spilling coffee, half of them bogarting cigarettes, the other half complaining about the smoke.

  to force one's way into; "crash"

  2001 Pearl Cleage _I WIsh I Had a Red Dress_ (rpt. N.Y.: Harper Perennial 2002) 162: They sounded like some alien life-form, known for bogarting into places where they aren't welcome.
  2005 Franz Wisner  _Honeymoon with My Brother_  (N.Y.: St. Martin's) 87:
  His plan was simply to cut in front of everyone else.  "He's just bogarting the line."

  JL