LSSU Banished Words list, 2008

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Jan 2 23:31:03 UTC 2008

        I may have been too broad in my condemnation of "authored."  I
just did a search for uses of "authored" using Google News, to see how
it is being used in edited text.  Most uses there fall into one of the
following categories:

        1.      As a synonym for "wrote" or "written":  "Philip Dick
authored his sci-fi novel 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.'"  This
was the sense I was criticizing.

        2.      In contexts where document ownership is implied, but
"wrote" or "written" likely would be inappropriate.  This seems to come
up particularly in news reports about legislation (likely a bias
introduced by using a news database):  "A number of new state laws
authored by two Silicon Valley state senators will take effect today."
This also arises where there is institutional authorship:  "The Office
of Strategic Services authored in late June 1945 one of the first
position papers to address occupation policy toward minorities."

        3.      In contexts betraying uncertainty as to whether "wrote"
or "written" would be appropriate:  "Bonanno was famous for his family's
ties to the Mafia, books he authored about them and time spent in a
federal prison camp."

        4.      In the broader sense of the term:  "Darren McFadden,
Arkansas' junior running back, gained 105 yards on 21 carries but never
authored a breathtaking run."

        5.      To show a parallel with "co-authored":  "The site says
he has authored or co-authored five books and has a Ph.D. in psychology
from Emory University."

        Only the first of these categories really seems problematic to
me, although the example with Darren McFadden strikes me as a bit
precious.

John Baker