VS in dialog

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Mon Jan 7 18:41:48 UTC 2008

Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
> the "reversed-style" version is known as Quotative Inversion in the
> syntactic literature.  you can google up a pile of references.
> including some discussion of QI in the New Yorker, in early Language
> Log postings (#17, 28, 37).

Thanks; the cited material, I think, pretty well resolves my friend's

Jim Parish

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list