disband/reband

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 11 00:39:02 UTC 2008

At 4:31 PM -0500 1/10/08, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>The verb "reband" (unknown to the dictionaries) frequently shows up in
>online histories of music groups, meaning 'reunite after
>disbanding'...

No doubt, as you suggest below, facilitated by
the dual interpretive possibilities of "disband".
As it happens, there's another possible
interpretation here for bilinguals--"bander" is
the French verb for 'to get an erection', so
predictably (as a quick google search on "je
rebande" or "j'ai rebandé" will confirm),
"rebande" has the compositional sense 'get an
erection again (after an interval)', or
're-erect'.   The metaphorical possibilities are
robust.

LH