English words beginning with <j> pronounced [Z]?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 21 20:11:26 UTC 2008

At 2:34 PM -0500 1/21/08, goofy dreaming wrote:
>In Love and Death, Woody Allen and Diane Keaton pronounce "jejune" as
>/Z at ZUn/, but they're being pretentious.

Good catch!  I sort of remember that.  Thumbing through the AHD, I
also find "je ne sais quoi", pronounced to be sure with an initial
/Z/, but I suppose one might argue this phrase wouldn't be reckoned
as being "in the English language" per se.  It certainly does seem to
lack a certain...

LH