English words beginning with <j> pronounced [Z]?

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 22 04:20:39 UTC 2008

Borrowed French words like genre ~zhaanru, (where ~aa sounds like "ah" and ~u like "uh".)  Also Jacques, ~zhaaks.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:42:43 -0500
> From: laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
> Subject: Re: English words beginning with  pronounced [Z]?
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Horn
> Subject: Re: English words beginning with  pronounced [Z]?
>
> At 1:56 PM -0500 1/21/08, Charles Doyle wrote:
>>A while back, didn't we discuss a word pronounced [ZUZ], a noun
>>referring to a quick shake given to something? I have no idea how
>>the word might be spelled!
>>
>>--Charlie
>
> Most posters who seemed to know (or at least seemed to be confident)
> had it as "zhuzh", and cited Queer Eye for the Straight Guy as the
> vector. (Steve Kleinedler may have nominated it for one of the WOTY
> categories a couple of years ago.)
>
> LH

Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give.