A language kept alive on life support, literally

Tue Jan 22 17:38:30 UTC 2008

Good point--nobody can deny that, historically, forced linguistic and
cultural assimilation has been pernicious.

At the same time, though, it seems clear enough that in the 21st century the
indigenous cultures will continue to be eroded by the superculture, and that
the complex task of learning a dying second language merely because one's
ancestors knew it will seem like an irrelevant waste of time for young people, who
must respond to their immediate economic and social needs and not the romantic
notions of linguists and social engineers. This is largely why so many such
languages died out in the twentieth century, and certainly why so many are
endangered now. Fortunately, linguists do not have enough political power to make
people (except their students at exam time) do anything that would be
necessary to force people to learn dying languages. But then, prescriptivists usually
lose, regardless of whether their motives are professional and elitist or (as
in the case of linguists) professional and nostalgic.

In a message dated 1/21/08 2:30:24 PM, gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM writes:

> Historically, it's generally been the opposite: "You Indian, you better
> speak English and get rid of your unchristian ways". Today, I think it's
> safe to say that nearly every NA tribe in the US (for starters) has a
> program or a strong interest in reviving their language. I don't think
> there's any linguist trying to force native tongues on their peoples,
> but there are linguists working to preserve tongues that some  peoples
> aren't interested in saving just in case those peoples someday do want
> to revive them. BB
>
> Charles Doyle wrote:
> > In my Milton class, when asked to explain what the literary scholars (with
> decorous Latinity) term Adam's "uxoriousness," I defined it (with decorous
> clipping) as his being "whipped." The students, nearly all white, understood
> immediately, perfectly, and guffawingly.
> >
> > But I agree with Wilson's (and Dennis B's) point about language
> preservation. It's a form of prescriptivism: "You, little peasant native boy, ought to
> talk like your great-grandparents!"
> >
> > --Charlie

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.