Pronouncing drug names (w. note for Wilson)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 30 21:37:23 UTC 2008

Ditto. My mnemonic is the pun "the three Liddell girls", somewhere in or
about Carroll's oeuvre. (The poem about one lazy afternoon?... misquoting it
here.)

Larry interposed (while I was typing the above:

---
I remember being surprised to learn that the family name of Alice
Liddell, of Alice in Wonderland fame, and therefore of her father
Henry--Dean Liddell of Christ Church in Oxford, was pronounced
"Little" and not "Lid-DELL" (I'm pretty sure I made the same wrong
guess about the classical lexicographer), and that this explains some
puns on the part of Dodgson/Carroll on the name.
---

Same wrong guess, same given name, same person.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Liddell

(Actually, I may have learned the correct pronunciation in my late teens, at
St. John's College. I recall referring to the Intermediate Greek-English
Lexicon rhymingly as "the middle Liddell-Scott".)

m a m