"hot dog" T.A. Dorgan story in St. Louis Post-Dispatch (UNCLASSIFIED)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Jul 7 16:03:40 UTC 2008

As a discussant on this list noted a few weeks ago (perhaps I myself), in at least some varieties of Southern speech, "hot dog" can refer only to the entire sandwich--never to the sausage-thing alone. I would call the elongated meat-like item inside the bun a wiener or weenie, irrespective of its size or color--never a frankfurter. Only somewhat recently did I learn the term "brat," and I don't know (even now) what a "redhot" is!

--Charlie