Serenity Prayer in Yale Alumni Magazine (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Jul 14 22:00:19 UTC 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

One other issue, which Sifton dances around, that works against Niebuhr
as the author is the problem of documentation of sources of anecdotes
within the oral tradition of churches.  Sifton alludes to this as
possibly supporting the idea that her father originated the prayer, and
others disseminated it from his original thinking.  I think it is as
least as likely that her father heard it from somewhere else, and used
it in his sermons and messages.

We've all been the recipients of emails copying from a church bulletin
or sermon or some other church-related source in which an anecdote is
retold as original, or from source unknown, but in fact it can be
clearly shown to have a specific origin which is not acknowledged.
Snopes.com is full of these sorts of retold stories.   The linked
article in Time Magazine refers to this tradition, and gives some
explanation.

There is probably a doctoral dissertation out there waiting to be
written on the subject, using as specific supporting evidence the fact
that not only Martin Luther King Jr but also Jesse Jackson (who grew out
of such a tradition) had problems with plagiarization in their academic
careers.