Who's diddling and how?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 18 13:53:48 UTC 2008

At 12:25 AM -0400 7/18/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>The same is true of Homeric Greek.
>
>Say, have I ever mentioned that I played Akhilleus in the KUCD-TV
>production of The Iliad?
>
>This may surprise some, if not many, here, but the professor was
>really sweating the possibility that he might be "taking integration
>too damned far" by having a colored fellow play the greatest hero in
>Western literature. He was worried about putting me into some kind of
>social jeopardy. And this was in 1971 in Northern California, not in
>1921 in Southern Mississippi!
>
>(BTW, Ron, that professor was H. Phelps Gates, Jr.)

Not to be confused with either Phelps Gate, the main entrance to Yale
University, or H. Louis Gates, Jr., a distinguished former member of
our faculty (and current director of the W. E. B. Du Bois Institute
for African American Studies at Harvard) who would have been unlikely
to subscribe to the above misgiving.

LH