Kimchi pizza

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Sun Jun 8 02:48:44 UTC 2008

I'll bet Randy  (LanDi Liu) could add a thought or two on pizza in
China --
but I doubt anyone has ever seen a more interestingly named pizza
place than one that used to exist in NYC's lower east side (on the
edge of Chinatown): Noah Zark Pizza.
dh

Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Kimchi pizza
---

I finally found kimchi pizza a few weeks ago at Zayda Buddy's in
Seattle. It was everything I had dreamed of. Theirs has black olives
and Canadian bacon.

Looking on the Net, I found two references to a Columbia Article dated
08 May 2002, but not the article itself. (Citations:
http://www.webspace.umd.edu/amercult/InternmentArt/foodways/aaron/KimchiWebs
ite.html
, http://www.desertmodernism.com/blog/2006/01/kimchi_pizza.php).

The Kanaka in Korea Page: Hawaii and Korea Gateway site has a recipe
cited as being from August 1997 with guest demonstrator Toni Lee.
(http://kalaniosullivan.com/General/Opinions-k2.html#KIMCHEE%20PIZZA)
entire citation-----
Kim Chee Pizza 2 tablespoons kim chee sauce (hot, spicy Korean sauce)
or ko choo jung (Korean appetizer sauce) 1 (12-inch) ready-made
parbaked pizza crust 1 1/4 cups chopped sour kim chee* 1/4 lb sliced
pepperoni 1/2 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced 1/2 cup sliced olives 1 cup
shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat electric oven to 425 F. Spread sauce over pizza crust. Top
with kim chee, pepperoni, mushrooms, and olives. Sprinkle with
mozzarella cheese. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

*Korean hot, spicy preserved vegetables that have been allowed to
ferment for a week or two so they have a tangy flavor.

The Electric Kitchen; Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc.

NOTE: My recommendation is to simply get a can of pizza sauce, throw
in a bunch of pre-made kimchi (NOT JAPANESE KIMUCHI WITH VINEGAR), and
prepare like a regular pizza. You don't have to mess with the gochu
jang (chili paste) as its already in the kimchi. Do NOT add salt as
kimchi is already salty. Another idea is to get hero sandwich rolls
and use the rolls in lieu of the crust. Cut the rolls in half
lengthwise; scoop out the center; fill the center with kimchi/pizza
sauce mix; smother with mozerella cheese; top with pepperoni
(optional) Bake at 425 degrees until the crust starts to turn dark
brown.

-----

Mention of this dish in South Korea:

20 June 2000: Yes, there are even kimchi burgers as well as kimchi
pizza's over here in Korea.
(http://www.davidchun.com/korea/archives/000144.html
)

25 Jan 2001: Pizza Hut has kung pao chicken toppings in Taiwan and
kimchi pizza in Korea, while KFC is serving soups and dumplings in
China.
In "Fast Food - Look Who's Going Native - `Fusion' cuisine is gaining
ground in Asia, thanks to the fast-food influence of Colonel Sanders
and the Golden Arches" in the archives at FoodAsia.com
(http://foodasia.tripod.com/foodasia/id7.html
)

17 August 2001: And Pizza Hut began selling his kimchi-topped pizzas
at its restaurants in Korea last year.
"Stinky Korean Dish Seeks Smell Of Success and a Global Market" by Jay
Solomon
(http://www.tomcoyner.com/stinky_korean_dish_seeks_smell_of_success.htm
)

BB