Kimchi pizza

LanDi Liu strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 8 07:30:25 UTC 2008

OT (nothing about dialects here):

I read this with interest as kimchi pizza sounds fantastic.  My mouth
was watering looking at the recipe.  But I haven't seen a kimchi pizza
here (yet).  I would make one myself, but ovens are pretty rare also.
I've only seen an oven in someone's house once -- in an apartment
especially for foreigners (non-Chinese) in Beijing.  There are
commercial ovens everywhere for making 饼 (bing3), pancake-type things,
cookies, etc, but they're a little big for my kitchen.  Maybe I'll get
chummy with a restaurant owner and get them to let me try the recipe.

I just now asked around about other kimchi flavored things around here
(I'm about 5 hours away from the North Korean border), and someone
said there was such thing as a kimchi pancake, so I went out looking
around the Korean stores and restaurants and found (and ate) one.
It's a yellow-orange thing about 30cm in diameter, 1.5cm thick.  It
appears to be made of flour, eggs, kimchi, and maybe some other
spices.  If anyone's interested, email me and I'll try to get a more
exact recipe.  It's pretty tasty, but I think it could use a lot more
kimchi sauce.

One of the stores sold kimchi dumplings, and said that they were
available in South Korea.  I also think I've tried kimchi flavored
potato chips, but other people around me say there's no such thing, so
I may be confusing that memory with something else.  There are some
strange flavors of potato chips here, like Peking roast duck,
cucumber, lemon, and wasabi.

As far as western pizza in China, maybe you can find some decent
places in huge cities, but around here all of the pizza places are
regrettable.  The best generally available is Pizza Hut, which doesn't
excite me too much.

Sorry for being so off topic, but since it's the weekend and there's
not much activity anyway, I hope I'll be forgiven.

Randy

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Kimchi pizza
>
> I'll bet Randy  (LanDi Liu) could add a thought or two on pizza in
> China --
> but I doubt anyone has ever seen a more interestingly named pizza
> place than one that used to exist in NYC's lower east side (on the
> edge of Chinatown): Noah Zark Pizza.
> dh
>
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject:      Kimchi pizza
> ---
>
> I finally found kimchi pizza a few weeks ago at Zayda Buddy's in
> Seattle. It was everything I had dreamed of. Theirs has black olives
> and Canadian bacon.
>
> Looking on the Net, I found two references to a Columbia Article dated
> 08 May 2002, but not the article itself. (Citations:
> http://www.webspace.umd.edu/amercult/InternmentArt/foodways/aaron/KimchiWebs
> ite.html
> , http://www.desertmodernism.com/blog/2006/01/kimchi_pizza.php).
>
> The Kanaka in Korea Page: Hawaii and Korea Gateway site has a recipe
> cited as being from August 1997 with guest demonstrator Toni Lee.
> (http://kalaniosullivan.com/General/Opinions-k2.html#KIMCHEE%20PIZZA)
> entire citation-----
> Kim Chee Pizza 2 tablespoons kim chee sauce (hot, spicy Korean sauce)
> or ko choo jung (Korean appetizer sauce) 1 (12-inch) ready-made
> parbaked pizza crust 1 1/4 cups chopped sour kim chee* 1/4 lb sliced
> pepperoni 1/2 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced 1/2 cup sliced olives 1 cup
> shredded mozzarella cheese
>
> Preheat electric oven to 425 F. Spread sauce over pizza crust. Top
> with kim chee, pepperoni, mushrooms, and olives. Sprinkle with
> mozzarella cheese. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
>
> *Korean hot, spicy preserved vegetables that have been allowed to
> ferment for a week or two so they have a tangy flavor.
>
> The Electric Kitchen; Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc.
>
> NOTE: My recommendation is to simply get a can of pizza sauce, throw
> in a bunch of pre-made kimchi (NOT JAPANESE KIMUCHI WITH VINEGAR), and
> prepare like a regular pizza. You don't have to mess with the gochu
> jang (chili paste) as its already in the kimchi. Do NOT add salt as
> kimchi is already salty. Another idea is to get hero sandwich rolls
> and use the rolls in lieu of the crust. Cut the rolls in half
> lengthwise; scoop out the center; fill the center with kimchi/pizza
> sauce mix; smother with mozerella cheese; top with pepperoni
> (optional) Bake at 425 degrees until the crust starts to turn dark
> brown.
>
> -----
>
> Mention of this dish in South Korea:
>
> 20 June 2000: Yes, there are even kimchi burgers as well as kimchi
> pizza's over here in Korea.
> (http://www.davidchun.com/korea/archives/000144.html
> )

> [...]

Randy Alexander