Fwd: Fist Bump

Katharine The Grate katharinethegrate at COMCAST.NET
Thu Jun 12 01:47:40 UTC 2008

> Grant Barrett wrote:
>
>>> A friend who works in television had an occasion to have a good chat
>>> with Quincy Jones. At the end of it Quincy put up his fist for a
>>> fist
>>> bump. Not knowing any better, Friend, who is short and white and not
>>> very soulful, grabbed the fist from the front, like you would
>>> grab the
>>> rung on a ladder, and shook it.
>>>
>>> I'm only a little less white than that.
>>
> In my IT life I work closely with an African American colleague who's
> head of IT Security here.  He started offering these a couple of
> months
> ago as we converged on some solutions to security policy problems
> ('It's
> time for one of these..')  Fortunately I knew enough to meet his fist
> half-way rather than anything else silly I might have done.
> Now we do them when we finish some particular task, but I don't do
> them
> with anyone else.
> On the other hand, lots of us, black, white and whatever, do 'high
> fives'.  Are they still used in African American circles?  Or have
> they
> become too common to serve as in-group markers?
>
> Geoff

Well...(you know I have to say this)... they are both very popular in
the kindergarten world.  Black, white, Asian, Hawaiian, Hispanic, we
high five (high, low and too slow) all over the place, and the fist
bump is becoming more and more popular.

Katharine "kindergarten in-group" Klevinskas