"call a spade a spade"

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Wed Jun 18 14:26:17 UTC 2008

>To my knowledge, no one has ever used "call a spade a spade" with the
intent
>of it being racial slur. But that has not stopped some people from
interpreting it that way--not unlike the objections to "niggard" or
>"picnic."

>The interpretation is not rational. It makes no sense, either
linguistically
>or logically. But there it is.

Yeah, I've been following this thread kind of at arm's length because the
entire initial premise was false, i.e., that the spade thing is racial. To
call a spade a spade just means to tell it like it is and has, apparently,
since at least the 17th century. That some people are going to think it is
racist is, as pointed out above, on the same level as thinking that
"niggard" and "niggardly" are racist. Misinterpretation is a wonderful
thing. I wonder: if you have two CIA spies, one of them white and one of
them black, only the white one is a spook?
DAD