"call a spade a spade"

Andrea Morrow aandrea1234 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 18 14:32:08 UTC 2008

Dave writes:
_____________________
To my knowledge, no one has ever used "call a spade a spade" with the intent
of it being racial slur. But that has not stopped some people from
interpreting it that way--not unlike the objections to "niggard" or
"picnic."

The interpretation is not rational. It makes no sense, either linguistically
or logically. But there it is.
____________________

I've been reading this thread and not commenting, because I have nothing to
add about the history or derivation of this phrase.  However, some of the
views expressed have been troubling, in that they do exactly what is
described by the phrase being discussed.  I was moved to write because this
comment so clearly embodies what is meant (among people I grew up with in
rural, working-class Michigan) by "calling a spade a spade":  the writer is
not trying to be offensive, he is just "telling it like it is."  And if
those pesky people of color can't take it, too bad - no offense was meant.
(To understand how the phrase "call a spade a spade" works, all you have to
do is substitute one of the more widely recognized racial slurs in place of
"spade": he isn't afraid to call a _____ a ________.)

I'm not saying that EVERYONE uses the phrase with a racial meaning, but I am
pretty sure that it's equally mistaken to say NO ONE does.  And the phrase
does make logical sense as a racial slur, because of the (already discussed)
resonances of "spade" among some speakers.  I grew up hearing the
phrase used as a defense of racist attitudes or behavior, and for that
reason, I wince when I hear it used in a supposedly race-free context
today.

Andrea