"black as the ace of spades"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jun 18 17:52:43 UTC 2008

More on early uses in America of "black as the ace of spades", from EAN:

1820 Aug 5, "Unknown Title, published as Weekly
Messenger [EAN doesn't give the city, but it's
probably the Boston Weekly Messenger; available
on microfilm], page 2, col 2, "Biography of
General John Adair" [biography on
Wikipedia]:  "On one day however when the
prisoners were amusing themselves with a pack of
cards (all as black as the ace of spades),
..."  [It's not clear to me from browsing this
article whether "black" is a reference to the
"prisoners", who were American revolutionaries
captured by the British, I think somewhere in the
south.  Adair himself, from his bio and picture,
was not African.  Perhaps the prisoners were
simply dirty.  Surely the red suits were not black?]

In 1825, there were a number of publications of
the case of "Phillis Schoonmaker vs. Cuff
Hodgeboon," which I listed in my previous message
as being in William Hone's _The Table Book_
(published 1827).  The earliest instance EAN
finds is the Rhode-Island American, 1825 April
29, page 2.  At the end, it is credited to
_Noah's Advocate_.  [Google helps:  This is
probably Mordacai M. Noah's New York City National Advocate."]

1827, Farmer's Cabinet, Amherst, NH, April 28,
page 3, credited to the "N.Y. Enq."; also several
other papers:  About the "ex queen of Hayti",
"The Americans who have visited Port-au-Prince in
her time, will remember that she is a fat, greasy
wench, as black as the ace of spades, and one who
would find it difficult to get a place as a cook
in this city."  [Haiti proclaimed its
independence in 1804; Americans circa 1825 were
becoming concerned about the presence of freed
slaves in the northern colonies.  (The South of
course was not so concerned; there blacks were slaves.)]

Joel