yonder - English or Irish?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 23 02:41:59 UTC 2008

The fact of the matter is that I once took a course in Irish from a
native speaker of the Munster dialect. So, what I should have said is
that "Shule Aroon" is a reasonable eye-phonetic rendition of _Siul a
riun_.

All that I know of the actual tune(s) is contained within this thread.

My apologies.

-Wilson

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: yonder - English or Irish?
>
> At 6/22/2008 12:32 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>Well, "Siul a riun" certainly sounds a lot like Shule Aroon.
>
> Wilson, you've listened to both melodies?  :-)
>
> In any case, this is additional evidence that the song was
> unboubtedly written about the girlfriend of an Irish supporter of
> King James who left for service in the undoubtedly Catholic army of
> France in 1690 or 1691.
>
> Joel

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens