Chinese character test

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Mon Mar 3 02:09:52 UTC 2008

Joel S. Berson wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Chinese character test
>
> At 3/2/2008 07:36 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>> At 7:13 PM -0500 3/2/08, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>>> I'm getting gibberish, but given that others receive and can display
>>> the characters, I'm sure it's a lack in Eudora.
>> It's not (all) Eudora's fault.  I'm using Eudora 6.2 and getting the
>> characters (except when they're embedded within another message, as
>> others have noted), but I'm pretty sure I didn't get them when I had
>> a Notebook instead of my current MacBook, although I didn't run this
>> version of Eudora then either.
>
> I'm using Eudora 7.1 (! which certainly ought not to have lost
> anything) -- but with Windows XP.  (Perhaps the newer MacBook has a
> newer, bigger character set support?)  On the other hand, Dan Goodman
> gets the characters using Windows XP -- but with Firefox.  (Does that
> mean via a browser?)

It means that the illness I'm just recovering from dimmed my brain
enough that instead of saying "Thunderbird" I said "Firefox."

Sorry.

Confusing, yes.

> I'll have to see what I see going to the archive, and reading via
> Netscape. ... Nope, I still see only gibberish in the archives,
> looking at the last 10 or so messages in this chain  The next test
> might be to use my ISP's email client directly.
>
> Joel

Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com <http://dsgood.livejournal.com/>
Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
Mirror Journal http://dsgood.insanejournal.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood