Boondocks

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 3 03:20:34 UTC 2008

"Shortened," you say? Well, I'm glad to have that straightened out.
I'd long had the false intuition that "boondockers" was the result of
an extension of "boondocks" to the type of footwear worn in such
areas, e.g. as at Camp Lejeune, SC. I've never made any connection
between "boondocks" the footwear and "boondockers" the footwear. I
know the latter form only as a literary term that I learned long after
"boondocks," which was used only in Saint Louis, AFAIK, had gone into
the dead file.

The Marine Corps is the most, ah, conservative branch of the most
conservative armed force. So, there isn't any Corps jargon or slang in
BE that I know of. I've come across only three black marines in my
life and no white ones at all. But, back in the day, everybody that I
knew had some connection with The War.

-Wilson

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>  Subject:      Re: Boondocks
>
>  As HDAS generously indicates, "boondockers" was the Marine Corps name for their rugged "field shoes" of WWII and later.  The word was soon more widely applied.
>
>   Though Google Books finds a few exx. back to the 1980s (only), the shortening to "boondocks" is a novelty to the editor.
>
>   JL
>
>  Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens