coffin pronunciation

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 17 00:58:06 UTC 2008

A tradstreeng is a string of letters in tradspel (traditional spelling).  It could be any number of letters in a row and more than one phoneme or syllable.

For instance in the database, I can filter on the tradstreeng "off" and get all the tradwerdz (words in traditional spelling) that have "off" in them.  Looking at the most popular 5,000 words of English I get the list below most popular at top.  (a double f starts a stressed syllable.)

off     ~auf
office  ~aufis
offer   ~aufer
coffee  ~kaufee
offered ~auferd
official        ~uffishool
officer ~aufiser
officers        ~aufiserz
officials       ~uffishoolz
offering        ~aufereeng
offices ~aufisiz
offers  ~auferz
officially      ~uffishoolee
offence ~uffents
offensive       ~uffentsiv

Some words in truespel look a lot like tradspel.  I put a tilde to indicate truespel.  The database is a spreadsheet available for researchers who want to use it.

The words above are ranked because they are associated with frequency counts from the Collins Cobuild database.  They count how often words appear in general media (newspapers).  A count is given for each word in the top 5k.  Thus it's possible to quantify dialect changes (such as "r" dropping) using this database.  Just substitute a place keeper (like the number 7) for each dropped r, and then total up the words with 7's.  You can find the % of words that change.  Because the phoneme count is know, you can get the % of phoneme change as well.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Benjamin Lukoff
> Subject: Re: coffin pronunciation
>
> Remind us what tradstreeng is?
>
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Tom Zurinskas wrote:

>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>> Poster: Tom Zurinskas
>> Subject: Re: coffin pronunciation
>>
>> This clippit is a discussion by me of the sound of "o" in phoneme ~or (the sound of the vowel "o" as influenced by following phoneme ~r in tradstreeng "or").
>> The sound is between ~oe and ~au so truespel labels it ~or.
>>
>> Press play button twice to hear.
>>
>> http://www.qlipmedia.com/wqb/index.php?discid=bed19b83
>>
>> Also, note that truespel is English based. Would the word "more" look better to English readers as ~maur rather than ~mor? And if the "awe-droppers" see the tradstreeng "au" would they tend to substitute "ah"? Possibly.
>>

>> Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+
>> See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give.