Dittlers and dits

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Fri Mar 28 15:05:04 UTC 2008

This looks like it could be related to Scots (and perhaps more general
northern) English _tiddler_, which means a small fish--presumably one you'd
throw back if you caught it (maybe it says this in DARE, but my copy's at
the office, and I'm not).  From this comes the BrE dialectal adjective
_tiddly_ meaning small, which I found is applied a lot to premature babies,
as is _diddy_, which is northern BrE, and again looks like your word...

These words were mentioned on my blog here:
http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2008/01/baby-talk-introducing-grover.html

Are they're related or is there some sound symbolism at work here?  I've
heard "/I/ = 'small'", but not "alveolar stop = 'small'".  Or are they all
coincidental baby-talkish variations on _little_?

Lynne

--On Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:53 am -0400 "Baker, John"
<JMB at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:

>         Not known to me from growing up and raising chickens in Adair
> County, Kentucky, two counties northwest of Wayne County.
>

> John Baker

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics and English Language
Arts B135
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QN

phone: +44-(0)1273-678844