OT [Re: Questions put in the negative]

Fri Mar 28 20:28:23 UTC 2008

As an interpreter, I once used a negative for a question put to a
group of Japanese. They all answered emphatically in English, "Yes!" I
was embarrassed at having caused such an avoidable misunderstanding
and explained that their "yes" meant "no" because of my phrasing.
Already puzzled about other Japanese manners, my poor English
interlocutor was completely baffled, LOL. BB