"scrimshander" -- new meaning [was: misuse? (Or perhaps obsession)]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun May 11 00:45:25 UTC 2008

Neat -- something new for the OED.

I also have never heard "scrimshoner" -- but then again, I've never
hear "scrimshander" either. :-)

Of the 111 (oops, now 107; oops, now 33) Google hits for
"scrimshoner", none appear to be actual uses.  Google Books has 3
actual uses, one a dictionary and the other two "The Oxford Companion
to the Decorative Arts", 1975.  Google Scholar has none.

For "scrimshander",  Merriam-Webster on-line has both meanings:  "1 :
scrimshaw 2 : a person who creates scrimshaw".  And there are many
Google hits, and not a few in Google Books and Scholar, for the sense
of worker.

Joel