grow-op Canadian usage?

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 14 00:21:32 UTC 2008

We spent this past week at our cottage on Georgian Bay, where we
receive one TV station, sometimes in color.  It's the
Kitchener-Waterloo CTV affiliate.  The other evening one of the
newsreaders was reporting on a police raid on a marijuana growing
site.  She referred to the offending site as a "grow-op."  Googling it
got about 85,000 hits; the first 20 are all Canadian.  Urban
Dictionary has a definition: "Short form for "grow operation." Usually
an extremely large warehouse set up to grow massive hydroponic
quantities of marijuana."  The entry's example refers to a drug bust
in Toronto.

Herb