Obama and the indefinite article

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sun Nov 9 12:24:16 UTC 2008

Since Obama did not grow up in an African-American community it's very unlikely he has any native AAVE features.  He did spend quite a bit of time at Punahou, where I suspect he acquired Hawaiian English--I went to University of Hawaii as a graduate student, and became a fairly good second-language speaker myself.
Unfortunately I'm a little rusty, but my intuitions on the subject tell me that it's not HE, because the indefinite article in HE is 'one', not 'a'.  But certainly 'a+glottal stop' is widespread on the mainland, as others have said.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Automatic digest processor" <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
To: "Recipients of ADS-L digests" <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, November 9, 2008 12:01:31 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: ADS-L Digest - 7 Nov 2008 to 8 Nov 2008 (#2008-313)

Topics of the day:

  1. Obama and indefinite articles (2)
  2. Heard on The Judges: "show out" = approx., throw a tantrum,
     blow one's top, etc.

Date:    Sat, 8 Nov 2008 01:26:28 -0800
From:    Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject: Re: Obama and indefinite articles

Yes, I'm certainly not trying to claim that Obama is the only one who
does that.

Unfortunately, your summary makes my post look pretty vacuous. Perhaps
it is, but what I was particularly referring to and is cut out in your
response is that I was talking about the "a" + vowel combination.

-----

On Nov 7, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Bradley A. Esparza wrote:

> Watching President-elect Obama speak I just heard him say
> "....*a*international....", not 'an'. <ay>
> Bradley A. Esparza

-----

BB