æbleskiver (Danish pancakes)

Sun Nov 9 13:27:53 UTC 2008

The Danish pancakes known as æbleskiver (singular: æbleskive) are mentioned
in the Sunday NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2008/11/09/style/t/index.html

Not in OED or any other English dictionary I checked, though Wikipedia has
an extensive entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86bleskiver

Earliest I've found in an English-language source is from 1902:

1902 Margaret Thomas _Denmark, Past and Present_ 30 It was the old fashion
on Christmas Eve to eat gruel with prunes or chestnuts, and apple beignets
called "aebleskiver."
http://books.google.com/books?id=26gXAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA130

And it's in U.S. newspapers from 1956:

1956 _Christian Science Monitor_ 14 Dec. 6 At least once during the
Christmas season we have aebleskiver.
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/csmonitor_historic/access/221260282.html?dids=221260282:221260282&FMT=ABS

--Ben Zimmer