"empath" as lexicographic lacuna

Fri Nov 28 18:09:07 UTC 2008

Y'all are looking in the wrong places. NOAD has had this from the beginning
(2001):

em•path ... n. (chiefly in science fiction) a
person with the paranormal ability to apprehend the
mental or emotional state of another individual.

In a message dated 11/24/08 11:08:44 AM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> Acrostic spoiler ahead...

> Word P in yesterday's NYT Acrostic is clued as "One who knows how you
> feel", and I inferred  the correct answer, _EMPATH_, partly by virtue
> of an instance of synchronicity that points to an odd omission:  In
> _The Narrows_, a 2004 novel by Michael Connelly I'm currently
> reading, the term is applied to those FBI agents who take their cases
> personally.  I was curious about when the word was first attested,
> and to my surprise _empath_ is unlisted in either the (online) OED or
> AHD4, despite the fact that it has both a wikipedia entry (albeit
> largely devoted to the science-fiction ESP-y variety of empath as
> opposed to the more general sense invoked by Connelly's FBI agent and
> the Acrostic designers) and "about 730,000" raw g-hits for the word.
>
> LH

Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW
AOL.com. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&
ncid=emlcntaolcom00000002)