"empath" as lexicographic lacuna

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 28 18:36:40 UTC 2008

At 1:09 PM -0500 11/28/08, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>Y'all are looking in the wrong places. NOAD has had this from the beginning
>(2001):
>

>em*path ... n. (chiefly in science fiction) a
>person with the paranormal ability to apprehend the
>mental or emotional state of another individual.

But that still doesn't automatically extend to the usage in the
Michael Connelly novel; FBI agent Rachel Walling is not crediting a
sizable minority of her fellow-agents with any paranormal ability,
just with having empathy toward victims of the crimes they're
investigating.  And the same goes for the acrostic clue, although
that could evoke the above definition.  Connelly's "empath" could
even be a separate back-formation from "empathy" or "empathic" from
the science-fiction sense rather than a bleaching of the paranormal
component.  I haven't gone through the google pages to see if it's
used regularly to mean just someone with (an unusual amount of)
empathy.

LH