words of one syllable dept. revisited

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 2 19:15:53 UTC 2008

If taken analogously to "push the envelope" (originally "push the outside of
the envelope"?) --   meaning "try to extend the range of the possible" -- it
would mean something like 'move the status quo forward, keep up with the
times'. Metaphorically I envision pushing the envelope as something like
being inside a comic-strip speech balloon and pushing on the side to enlarge
it.

m a m