words of one syllable dept. revisited

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 3 13:34:21 UTC 2008

If I'm not mistaken, 'push the envelope' originated during the design and
testing of new airplanes, think Chuck Yaeger.  All aircraft have constraints
they're designed for: maximum altitude, maximum angles of ascent, turning
rates, etc.  Together they constitute an 'envelope' of safe flying
parameters.  To push the envelope is to push, metaphorically from inside
(?), the outer ranges of what an aircraft is capable of attaining.

At least that's what they told me in aerospace class.