Tapping

Scot LaFaive slafaive at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 5 22:54:25 UTC 2008

Is there any known dialect of English where intervocalic alveolar tapping
does not occur in words like "butter" and "coating"? I ask because I think
I've heard someone in this area (west central Wisconsin) not tapping his
[t]'s in such words and instead pronouncing them as [t]'s. I'm pretty sure
I've heard him pronouncing words like "butter" as such, but I can't remember
which exact words he said; I only remember they sounded different from the
area dialect. I'll have to pay closer attention next time.

Scot