Baseball is British, oh no!

Sun Sep 14 21:35:40 UTC 2008

Yes--until recently, Derby County Football Club played at a park
called "The Baseball Ground", and had done since the late 19c. , and
I suspect something like baseball was commonly played in the 18c.
English midlands.  Baseball's near-relative rounders is still played
in schools, mostly as a girls' sport.  There are also modern baseball
teams and a league of sorts, not with all teams completely stocked
with Americans/Canadians, though most Britishers appear to hate it as
much as we Yanks (usually) hate its more distant cousin cricket.
Abner Doubleday gets knocked out of the park (or, perhaps, knocked
for six).

Paul Johnston